Norman M.
Norman M., Psychotherapist
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DHP, ECP, UKCP Registered, 10 years in relationship counselling, over 2,000 satisfied mental health customers.
14727623

My daughter learns differently so hates school, its destroying

Customer Question

My daughter learns differently so hates school, its destroying her and our relationship, shes 15 now, what can I do?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dear Debra replied 4 years ago.

Deardebra : She needs to understand that even though for her school is a struggle that doesn't defy who she is as a person. Some people ate gifted in so many things. She needs to find what she loves to do. Finding something she is passionate about will help her threw school. Does she like to sing, draw,write ,cool, a sport, there area my things. You need to show her that people are unique in their own way. Not everyone is gifted in school. Some times people struggle she is not alone. Tell her that she is special and figure out what her gift is to boost her sel confidence.
JACUSTOMER-pisw6ek1- :

Have to say that is the usual totally unhelpful stuff I keep getting! Do you really imagine that I wouldn't work on her self-confidence? Do you really believe that even being passionate about something will elp any child deal with a situation they hate passionately? I've lived with this situation for over 10 years now on almost a daily basis. I've searched for help only to come up against brick walls of non-understanding. Always the answer seems to be - force the child into a mould she can't fit into ......... how caring, responsible or even humanistic is that? How is the child protected by such treatment? Why are our jails so full of people who suffered this problem? Why do we have suicides in children who dread school? Have you people any idea of REAL life at all? Not happy with this response at all!!!!

Expert:  Norman M. replied 4 years ago.
Before I can help you with your question, I'd need a bit more information about your daughter. You say that she learns differently, and that the system does not care about her dilemma. Could you expand upon that please.

I assume she has had a psychological assessment - how recent was that, and what was the result?

How is her behaviour and social interaction outside school?