Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
45897396

It has been 4 months since I broke up with my girlfriend, now

Customer Question

It has been 4 months since I broke up with my girlfriend, now we are speaking to one another, she says she's still in love with me, and she talks to me as if we are still together. However, she says we shouldn't date anymore, I love her so much and I want to start a new relationship with her... how do I get her to see that I will never make the same mistakes, but come across to her as a friend to keep her comfortable?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am so...ooo very sorry to hear about what has happened. The good sign is that she is saying that she's still in love with you.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Let me ask you some questions to better understand how to help you. You mentioned that you will never make the same mistakes. What were those mistakes.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

For now since she said that she still loves you and wants to be your friend then just oblige. Since she still loves you she may come around. I don't know what the mistakes are but be patient for now. If the mistake was cheating on her then good if you said you won't make the same mistakes again. Let her know how much you love her but don't push her away --- let her make the move from being a friend.

Customer:

Well I never cheated, but when I first left for college,things got rough and she cheated. Later we broke up and I had a small amount of relations with another girl, this was right before we got back together so I felt really bad and I talked her about it and she forgave me, but we never really had a full discussion on what she did, so I became a stressful person to be around. I've gotten loud with her which scared her but these are things that I have learned,and I've gotten over the past as well.

Customer:

Dr. Shirley Schaye,

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Oh, hi. I see you entered something --- let me read what you wrote.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Ok, I see.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

So, again, be patient, let her tell you by her actions whether she wants to come back. You will know soon enough. Don't push her.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

What you can do is wait for a while and keep me posted about how she responds. All you need to do is put Dr. Shirley Schaye before your response and I will be the one to respond. So when you've spent time with her let me know what goes on and we can continue discussing her responses.

Customer:

Dr. Shirley Schaye,

So do I save this?

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

To go back to what you said --- hey she cheated on you, not you on her. If the two of you have broken up over her cheating and you spent some time with another girl why would you need to apologize. She was the cheater, not you.

then

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Yes, you can save this but if you respond to me the question will show up and we can chat some more. Don't forget to rate your response.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Anyway, again to go back --- what do you mean that you will never make the same mistake. I don't see your mistake. I see her mistake.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Another thing ... ... Have you asked her since she said she still loves you and she talks to you as if you are still together why, then, does she think that you shouldn't be dating anymore?

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I have to see a patient soon. He's not here yet but when the bell rings I will have to go. I will check back as soon as I am finished so that we may continue with our chat. Anyway, I will wait till the bell rings.

Customer:

We had been talking again for a couple days and then I spent time with this girl, and I never would hurt her but I would let my feelings get the best of me and yell. She says that she wants me to find someone but gets really jealous when we talk about a girl. So since shes not talking to any boys, I tell her that I wont talk to any girls other than friends. Ok.

Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience: PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Shirley Schaye

Hi. Now my ex is asking me to come to her school, she goes to pitt state and I go to K-state, were 320 miles apart now. She has a car but only started driving at the end of last year, and shes scared to drive on the highway but she says she would definitely drive to my school if we were still together, but I don't really want her doing that. Problem is that I dont have a car, but she knows from the past, wherever she was i always found a way to get to her, when we were in high school, we lived miles apart, I walked, rode bikes, and got rides haha.. I truly love this girl... but now I don't know what to do. I miss her and she asked me to come spend time with her and I really want to next weekend. Thanks for helping me.

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yeah I've looking all day,and stressing over this, lol. I haven't looked into a train yet though.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Shirley Shaye

I have been looking and calling places all day, its a little stressful but she's worth it, I haven't looked into a train though.

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Actually I already ruled the bus out and now from looking, i see there is no train that could get me there... My mind is already made up and I'm set on going but i can't find a way. But I have high school friends in Manhattan and Pittsburg so I think I'm going to have to arrange something

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Shirley Schaye

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!