Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology helping with relationships
50444359

Im currently living with my now ex-girlfriend, her son, his

Customer Question

I'm currently living with my now ex-girlfriend, her son, his wife and their child in Texas. None of them are on my lease and due to the verbal attacks and name calling, I just want them out of the house I am renting. What are my options to evict them and/or throw them out? Can I give them a 3 or 7 day notice, or do I have to give a 30 day notice?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 4 years ago.

Hi! I believe I can be of help with this issue.

I can imagine how frustrating this situation must be for you. You have had enough and she's clearly now taking advantage of the situation. My concern, though, is that you not do anything impulsive that will get YOU in trouble instead of her.

You're asking a question that's a total gray area. An attorney can make the case for either side. So if it would ever get to court, it will depend on which of you brings an attorney to the court and on what the judge is like. Because the absence of money paid for rent is not by itself a proof that there is no legal tenant relationship. It has to do with the agreement made between you two.

So, while I might be completely ready to agree with you, if you'd call the police after Saturday to say you asked her to leave and gave her the 7 day notice as your houseguest, which is more than fair, they might or might not take her to a shelter. The record of police involvement is very spotty and is very case by case oriented. They make a judgment call on the spot.

The worst is if you damage her property in any way. That her goods were in your space is not good enough as a defense. So I want you to be careful here. Let me give you the link for what I think is very useful information by a judge in Denton County that will give you the rundown on this. There are some sections that aren't relevant but the beginning page is very relevant to you:

http://dentoncounty.com/dept/jp2/Forms/phofed.pdf

So, you can keep "urging" her to leave, for sure. But make sure there are no threats. Meaning, make sure there are no implied threats of bodily harm or damage to property.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, Dr. Mark

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 4 years ago.

Hi, Chris. I see you've viewed but haven't responded yet to my answer. I would be very interested in hearing back from you on whether you thought my response was on target or if we need to continue with further clarification. My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons.

Let me know,

Dr. Mark