Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I have been dating my boyfriend for almost a year, we are in

I have been dating my boyfriend for almost a year, we are in our early 40's both seperated for over 2 yrs and both have children age range 7 - 10yrs. We spend approx 2 nights a week togehter and do not mix the families, i have met his children briefly over 6 months ago and he has met and chatted with mine more frequently, usually if he has poped in for a cuppa and she has not yet fallen asleep. I have asked him to arrange for us to spend some time together with all the kids, but he says he is not ready to do this. When we are together he makes me feel extremely special and I struggle to understand why he would not want to move forward.
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

Your boyfriend already has the relationship he wants with you and is quite satisfied with he way things are. You are very special to him, but up to a certain point.

He is apparently not interested in carrying the relationship further. If he wanted more he would have befriended you children and let you befriend his. He does not want this to happen, shows no enthusiasm for it to happen, and even thwarts it.

Moving forward is a natural progression. Stopping this process will destroy the relationship. Right now it has not bloomed and is still an affair that has had potential, but just isn't blooming.

You can hang on and hope, or you can give it up for lack of hope. This is an important issue and you should be able to talk about with him, and not let him always slide out of explaining his commitments and hopes for the future. You have known each other long enough that you both merit honest communications between you. He needs to be more straightforward about how he envisions the future with you and you family.

I wish you courage and perseverance.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Dear Anita,

Thank you so much for the positive feedback and for accepting my answer.

I wish you great success

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC