Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach

I have been in a relationship for 18 months now and I have

I have been in a relationship for 18 months now and I have never been more content I was previously married for over 25 years which my ex wife ended as she said she had become bored although I believe she had found someone new.i was left heavily in dept .that was seven years ago,when I started my current relationship I did talk a lot about my ex wife a lot which I believed was the right thing to do as. wanted to be honest.2weeks ago in conversation with my partner I called her by my ex wife's name, it was I believe a subconscious remark as I wasn't thinking about her neither do I at any time

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I ma very sorry to now about this situation.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

you please join the chat for us to dialogue about it?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

What you describe here is for sure uncomfortable for your partner, but at the same time I would not say it is a serious issue, nor a reason for concern. You were married for more than 25 years and the name of your ex-wife was perhaps the one you used to be most for such long period of time, then it is normal and fine if you happen to use it without being aware of the mistake, once you did with the person who is now being your life partner. This happens with step-children, coworkers and more.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

As long as you keep working on developing, improving and promoting further honesty, intimacy, trust and affection in your relationship, with good consistency between your words and actions , there should not be any problem or concern here. Just avoid spending more time talking about ex-wife. It was fine and perhaps necessary in the past but now it should not take any time - energy from your lives as a new couple.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hope it makes sense.