SLREED, Counselor
Experience:  MS Marriage/Family therapy. Four years as a counselor.

Hi, my boyfriend is telling me that he loves me a lot but hes

Hi, my boyfriend is telling me that he loves me a lot but he's tired of this relationship. Can you explain this for me. we're on a break at the moment & he sai that he really miss me but needs some time alone. I really miss him & love him. I want him back. I'm in a lot of pain.

When you boyfriend said that he loves you this can be true. The only thing, is that just because someone loves you that does not mean that they want to be in a relationship right now. If he says that he wants to be alone, there may be some things that he is going through, and the reason why he is choosing to be alone is because he may feel that he cannot be a good boyfriend to you right now, and take care of his personal issues. Or he may not want the added responsibility of a relationship, on top of his other worries.

Some people feel that it is just better to let the relationship go, as oppose to run the relationship into ruin with their problems. He may feel that a relationship is not something that they can handle right now.

As for advice regarding your pain. I know it hurts, because you cannot understand why he broke up with you if he still loves you and you still love him. However you can look at it this way. Just because you are broken up now, that does not mean that you will never get back together. The only thing that he is asking for his space. The only thing that you can do right now is give him his space.
What you can try to do, is try checking on him or texting him once and a while just to see how he is doing. You can do this as a friend, and as a way to let him know that you still care. But one thing that you do not want to do, is continue to try to talk to him all the time when he is telling you that he wants his space. This may make him mad, and he may begin to resent you.

In short, just because you are not together now, that does not mean forever. He may come around and want to be with you again, but you have to let him sort through his issues so that he can be a better boyfriend to you, if you guys do enter into another relationship. If you have additional questions please do to hesitate to ask.