KansasTherapist
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.
65252638

I am attracted to this guy who has recently come out of horrible

I am attracted to this guy who has recently come out of horrible relationship. he seems to give me mix signs. He has stated he just wants to be friends however, it seems as we are growing closer. I do know though he still talks to his exboyfriend. What does one do. Do I stop hanging out with him? I havent been this attracted to someone in quite sometime. I dont know if I could handle just being his friend.

KansasTherapist : Hello
KansasTherapist : I think you run the risk of being really hurt in this relationship.
KansasTherapist : Many times when someone is getting out of a bad relationship they get involved with someone else too soon.
KansasTherapist : Though your friend says he isn't ready, that may not stop things from becoming intense and then quickly cooling off.
Customer:

Hello

My friends tell me to take it as it comes. I date often... its so hard for me to find someone that I feel something for. I have no clue what has come over me with him. Its not like me.

KansasTherapist : If you're willing to take that risk, you could move ahead.
Customer:

The first time I saw him something clicked in me. I mean it wasnt physical thing

Customer:

How do I stop these feelings?

KansasTherapist : It's good you've met someone who fits with you, just be careful with your heart.
KansasTherapist : If you want to stop the feelings I think you would need to avoid being around him.
Customer:

I don't want to get hurt. I was hurt last time i was in relationship....its been almost 2 years now.

KansasTherapist : I can understand why you'd feel that way.
KansasTherapist : What do you want to do, take the risk or stop things now?
Customer:

I fear that I may be running from trying to get hurt all the time... but everyone keeps saying listen to my gut. Its just so cloudy.

Customer:

I guess thats my cross roads

Customer:

Id love to be his friend if I knew how to control my feelings or not come across needy or interested.

KansasTherapist : There is some risk in every relationship, but some are more likely to turn bad than others. This is a high risk situation. You have to really believe it's worth a try to wait and see what happens.
Customer:

What does one do?

KansasTherapist : Because he seems like someone really special to you, it may be worth it to be his friend and hope fore the best.
Customer:

Yah. I guess that would be the best result.

Customer:

Thank you.

KansasTherapist : You're very welcome.