Steven Olsen
Steven Olsen, Counselor
Experience:  More than 20 years of expertise in counseling, relationship resolution and family therapy.

I began dating a man from my past 18yrs ago, again. since we

I began dating a man from my past 18yrs ago, again. since we have been together it has been wonderful!! it is as if time had not passed at all. i opened up and asked him to not date other people. was this a wrong move. by the way our connectionis strong

I would like to help but need to ask a question. How long have you been back together? Steven

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not long. since july, but i will say very intense. without sex, at his request. He keeps talking about doing things in the future and that we have plenty of time to do things. Also references the past that i have hurt him and things that might have been if i did not leave and marry someone else.

I would say professionally that this is still a little soon to restrict the relationship. I think that there is a very good chance he would accept these limits if you did, but I also am seeing, based on his no sex request, that he is cautious as well. Asking this may cause him to feel like things are going too quickly. After a few more months, certainly.

I can see that you have very strong feelings for him and that he also seems to be willing to give this a real chance, but the rule here is slow and steady. He also seems hurt and will need to develop trust. That takes about, through research by Rubin and others on relationships, about six months before exclusive dating should take place

Take it slow, and I feel that you have a best chance at the outcome you desire! Steven