DrFee, Psychologist
Experience:  20+ years of counseling experience, Wife & Mother

I am in therapy and reading the courage to heal,but does one

I am in therapy and reading the courage to heal,but does one really ever heal from sexual abuse. I started therapy at the end of May this abuse happened many years ago and i have seen a therapist before but i wasn't ready to deal with it, but now i am.
Hello! Please remember that my responses are informational only, we are not establishing a therapeutic relationship.

Healing from sexual abuse can be a long road because it is so terribly traumatic. When we talk about "healing," we have to define what we mean by it.

In my mind, "healing," doesn't mean that all effects of the abuse are completely wiped away as if it didn't happen. I think a good definition of "healing" involves the quality of a person's life --the ability to pursue dreams, avoid unhealthy behaviors as a result of the abuse (such as addictions, eating disorders, depression, anxiety --I could go on an on here), and to be able to have a sexually intimate relationship without significant ongoing difficulty. Not to say that a person never, ever has difficulty again with sex, unhealthy behavior, or depression, but that these things are not predominant or significant problems in one's life.

So, given that definition of healing, I say "YES" it is possible!
Being "ready" for therapy is a positive sign. Sticking with therapy through the rough and tough times of it is helpful. Considering all of your options therapeutically as time goes on is also a good idea.

Hang in there. It's hard to see further along the journey until you get closer.

Please follow up if you need or want to.

Warm Regards,

Dr. Fee