askcounselor, Counselor
Experience:  I am a licensed clinical mental health therapist.

How does a person stop lying for good

How does a person stop lying for good

Start by keeping a journal whereby each day you record if you told a lie, then write down the reasons behind why you lied. Was it for some advantage, such as to obtain something, or was it to look good to someone, or that you did not wish to disclose something? Then look at the reason and try to determine if it has happened before. If there is a pattern, write down all of the cons to telling this lie, such as guilt, sadness or just low self-esteem. Make a mental note of how the outcome would have been if you had told the truth, and these will become your 'pros' of telling the truth. You obviously wish to stop the lies, now it is just a question of practice or putting into play what you sincerely XXXXX XXXXX do. I hope that this was helpful to you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you I will do that. I was also thinking of a way to honor my mom she just passed away July 26, and by telling the truth i would be honoring her that she raised me right, i am a little worried about setting myself up to fail because i've been lying as long as i can remember I am in therapy i just so much want to be honest.
I am sorry to hear about the recent loss of your mom -- you have my sincere sympathy. I believe that you are honoring your mom just by your intention to tell the truth and by your wish to change. We all are afraid of failure, but as the saying goes, if you don't try, then you don't succeed. It seems that you are on the right track, and I have a feeling that your efforts will turn out better than you thought they would. Keep up your good work and best of luck to you!