Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Na-GM

Hi My daughter has been seeing mental help Doc. and seems to have many different issues to heal from. Like mood disorder post traumatic disorder heightened anxiety and maybe bipolar? She has tried med with side effects just recently. She is very depressed at this point with some delusional thinking. She has had alot of rage at me the last three months . She is much better at curbing the anger each day thank goodness. I have agoraphobia and see her reasons for disdain in me . I want to help her some how. I tell her I love her often and offer her emotional support as best as I possible can. I have another appointment for my self to get help with my issues also in a few weeks too. I just though someone could give me a few new ideas. I have gone to nomi meets they are great also. Thank you for you time . Kind regards Suzy.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 2 years ago.
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective

Dear Suzy,

I believe I can help you, but I need some more information first, so let me ask you a few questions:

1) Your daughter's age

2) Was she ever abused, raped, kidnapped, abandoned, in a bad accident or otherwise traumatized?

3) Who is treating her?

4) What is her diagnosis?

5) What meds

6) What side-effects

7) Do you have Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia or no panic attacks?

8) How are you treated for your disorder. What kind of doctor or therapist?

9) Do either of you have relationships with significant others?

10) Anyone else living in your household?

11) Do either of you have any other physical or psychological problems?

12) Do you have a healthy diet? Are either of you obese?

13) Do either of you work?

14) List all your daughter's medications.

15) List all your medications.

Thank you for supplying me with this information, which I need to make a proper assessment. Write FOR ELLIOTT as the first words of your response so it will come to me more quickly.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi my daughter is 27 and she is currently not using any meds. The psychiatrist gave her Lamotrigine last month and she had a very bad reaction from it. He advised 5HTP though she doesn't choose to take this to help herself. She has been Raped at 18 as have I . I do not use meds though I tried over the last 20 years before along with herbal treatments too. My daughter has lost her job and I work helping my husband paint houses and sell on Ebay too. My daughter is single though during the start of this experience she had a lot of short intense relationships. She was out of control if you ask me not respecting her self . But she is extremly longing for a partner and a family and mostly a place of her own She stays at my mother in laws & she is living here with my husband and I and her older brother too. I have anxiety disorder fear of being alone. Please let me know if I missed something. Thank you for asking. Kind regards Suzy.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can not seem to find the accept box?
Dear Suzy,

It seems that, above all, your daughter is probably suffering from Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), which may account for some of her other symptoms, although it is possible that she does have bipolar disorder because of her reckless behavior, and her depression. That is why the psychiatrist gave her lamotrigine. If she does have bipolar disorder then she should not take 5HTP by itself.

I strongly recommend that you find a psychologist or counselor that deals with trauma. PTSD is caused by trauma, such as rape, and is best dealt with by psychotherapy - talk therapy. Many returning troops suffer from PTSD and there are many therapists who work with this disorder on a daily basis and are often very effective. If she also has bipolar disorder she can get different medications other than lamotrigine - such as lithium, which is often effective.

Talk to your psychiatrist or family doctor about finding a psychologist that can work with your daughter. This is the kind of help that she needs.

If there is anything else that you want to add or question me about, I will be happy to answer. You don't have to pay me more than one time for a question and a follow-up or two. I am happy to help. All you have to do is give me OK Service, Good Service or Excellent Service to let JustAnswer know that I have helped you.

I wish you the best.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.