Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience:  Ph.D. Licensed Psychologist

I have a problem with a workmate who I have been working with

I have a problem with a workmate who I have been working with for about 18 mths. She is one of these people who will ask you a question and before you finish answering will cut you off and then proceed to tell you something, and you never really get to finish what she asked in the first place.It happens all the time and I find it very irritating and quite stressful but I dont know how to deal with the problem. We work very well together apart from this and also share the same sense of humor. Is there a way to sort this problem out without upsetting things to much.
Hello. There are any number of scenarios and I don't know the nature of your work or what kinds of questions she asks you about. Some things you may want to try if it is relevant, is to give her quick and abbreviated answers. Or if she asks you something, take a big moment to pause in thought to see if she moves onto another topic. When she asks you something, ask her back if she really wants the answer and will let you finish speaking before you give her the answer.
If possible, you can joke with her about it at an appropriate time.
Try not to let it bother you as much as it does. I know that sounds easy when you have to deal with it on a daily basis, but try to think of all the worst things you could be dealing with in a work environment!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello Dr Paige, Thank you for your advice it has been very helpful and what you have suggested is pretty much what I have been thinking to do. Im just no tsure if I have the confidence to say something. I would really like to say it jokingly but im not sure how to go about it, do you have any suggestions. We work in the laundry at the Pt Lincoln Hospital and our conversations are just about every day life things, nothing very serious.
Confidence will come from your level of annoyance! :) Sometimes its better if you don't plan it, but if you are both just hanging out, joking about things, it may come up in a convenient way.
I'm sure that she doesn't realize that she is doing it. I think it will be fine. Try to let it roll off your back most of the time. As I said, there could be a lot worse situations to deal with in a work environment.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your advice,and I will try not to let it bother me anymore.
No problem! Let me know if ti continues and we can see what other things we can try!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'll follow up with you in the future to see how it's going.