Kate McCoy
Kate McCoy, Counselor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues

Over our relationship, I took my girlfriend for granted and

Over our relationship, I took my girlfriend for granted and didn't show her the attention and love and affection she needed. I never thought she would leave me. But now, I've found out that she had been talking to another guy, apparently just because he did give her attention and now she wants to break up because she doesn't think she can give our relationship another shot at 100%.
But she did say it's possible we will get back together in the future and I was just wondering what I should do. I love her so much and I've seen where my errors were and I know how to fix them.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Kate McCoy replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It is a good sign that you have insight into what went wrong in your relationship. It's easy to dismiss how your girlfriend feels and just ignore her needs. But you are not doing that. You are aware of the issues and are willing to fix them. That is a very important step in getting your girlfriend to come back.

You may want to try letting your girlfriend know that you messed up but that you are aware of it and will be working on the issues. If she still does not want to come back, then you can do your best to stay in contact with her. Try at least to be friends with her. You need the chance to show her that you are changing your ways and want to make another go at the relationship.

Also, work on ways you can make her feel special. Try emails or texts just to say "I'm thinking of you". If she is ok with it, try small gifts or thoughtful gestures like helping her out with something she needs. Don't be too pushy, but just stay in her life as much as possible. That may give her time to rebuild her trust and give your relationship another try.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

Kate McCoy, Counselor
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues