psychlady
psychlady, Counselor
Experience:  I have over 16 years experience in treating adults presenting with a variety of relationship issues
52358615

Ive been friends with a girl for five years, we are both currently

I've been friends with a girl for five years, we are both currently single, and have decided that I want to be more than friends. But it never seems like an appropriate time to tell her, and we are so used to hanging out together it would be really weird to suddenly bring it up. What should I do?

Do not get caught up in the idea of "a good time". There is no good time or bad time to change the relationship. If you want this you have to go for it. Right now you are in the friend zone and that won't change unless you tell her how you feel. Whatever decision she makes probably isn't drastically changed by when you tell her. Just one word of caution. Once you tell her it could change the relationship but by not telling her you may run the risk of always being friends. You have to decide if being girlfriend/boyfriend is worth the risk. If you really like her it probably is. Find a quiet time when you are together and tell her you are having feelings for her that are romantic. Would she consider being more than a friend. You are taking a chance but it will probably be worth it.

Please press excellent service so that I am compensated for my time.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She also tells me many things about her last relationship, and that although she no longer wants to be in that relationship, that she is still not 'over' it. How should I handle this?

If she isn't over a previous relationship this is very detrimental to a present relationship. You can take things slow but you have to realize that she comes with baggage. For her to totally commit to a relationship she has to let that one go. You have to proceed with caution if you want to pursue this.