psychlady, Counselor
Experience:  I have over 16 years experience in treating adults presenting with a variety of relationship issues

My girlfriend and I just split up, just as I was feeling she

My girlfriend and I just split up, just as I was feeling she was the one to spend the rest of my life with, she was moving in the other direction. She says she wants a few months to go out with other guys, to see how she feels then. I feel there is more to it than that, but I can't help living in hope. Should I talk to her friends to see if I can find out what she really feels?

I would depend only on what she thinks she feels. If she is confused her friends will be no help. Instead she is the only one who truly knows what she wants. I think asking her friends will only confuse things regarding this relationship. She may or may not want to pursue this relationship but you have to give her time. I understand you want to hope for the best but if she wants to see other guys then she is doubtful about your relationship and you have to allow her time to work that out. As hard as that is she has decide this must happen. She may decide that this relationship is what she wants but you also have to allow for that sense of doubt that she wants to move on. Talking to her friends probably won't clear anything up.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I suppose I feel she might think she is letting me down gently by leaving me with some hope. I would rather know the truth now, and I thought she might have been more open with her friends.

That's true but her friends have an alliance with her so they may not be helpful. Just try to deal with her so that you get accurate information.