TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker and Certified Professional Coach

Im a consulting doctor at a large hospital. Last week I had

I'm a consulting doctor at a large hospital. Last week I had an emergency patient come in after everyone had gone home. I did a minor procedure but did not know what to do with the instruments so I left them in a sterile tray and covered them. I expected my nurse, who has been with me for years, to see them and take care of it as I was not in that day. Instead, she went to the chief of staff to show her what I had done as well as pointing out some other minor violations. I then received a scathing Email from the chief of staff which is very damaging to my career. My question is how do I approach her when she shows up? I feel betrayed by someone I trusted but I don't think it would be correct to show my emotions. What is your opinion? I don't want to switch to another nurse, but I don't know if this relationship can be repaired.

CoachJenK :

Hi. Welcome. I am a Licensed Master Social Worker with more than 20 years experience working with individuals and families on a variety of issues.

CoachJenK :

I have a concern that if you reach out to her in any way that she may go right back to the chief of you think she would do that?

CoachJenK :

since you have a long standing working relationship with this nurse, i might suggest that you speak to her in a calm and gentle manner and let her know how it hurt you that she would not have come to you first to talk with you about these issues. The trust between Doctor and nurse is very critical and if you feel safe enough to speak with her about your hurt feelings so that it can be repaired, that sounds like the way to go. If after speaking together you feel that there is too much damage to have a good working relationship for the best interest of the patients, then you will have some thinking to do.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure. I thought we had a respectful "watch my back and I'll watch yours" type of relationship. I always thought I could trust her.
And it is unnerving to see that she aborted that trust....I think if you sit down with her to understand what her feelings are then you might be able to repair things. It seems as if she is holding on to some things and harboring some ill will because it seems pretty extreme to go to the chief of staff over instruments left where they shouldn't be.