TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker and Certified Professional Coach

I have a history of being a lot to handle emotionally. My mom

I have a history of being a lot to handle emotionally. My mom tells me that I "emotionally drain people", which I feel is partially true. I've had relationships where people just couldn't deal with my negativity and "bad mood". I'm in a great relationship right now and I'm starting to see the signs of wear and tear. I don't know what to do, how do I stop being so anxious and such a negative nancy about everything? I don't want to ruin this relationship as it's really important to me and I feel such a strong connection.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Welcome. I am a Licensed Master Social Worker with more than 20 years experience working with individuals and families on a variety of issues.

I am glad you have reached out here and I commend your strength and ability to look at some things within yourself to see how things are affecting you and those around you. that is not an easy task, so lets give yourself some self care around that.

It sounds to me that you are dealing with some unresolved issues around anger, sadness that may even lead to depression for you. Because these feelings haven't had an outlet for expression they remain inside of you and are getting played out with those around you.

If you haven't had the benefit of therapy, I would suggest that you look into that. It is a safe place for you to process all of your feelings and find alternate ways to deal with them so that they dont affect your relationships. You are in a great one now and we would like to keep it that way.

I believe it could be quite beneficial for you. Please go to and plug in your zip code to find someone in your area.

Please let me know how else I can support you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do go to therapy. I know I have anxiety problems and I take stuff for antidepression. But is there something I can Do?
Are you getting any deeper understanding for what goes on for you? It sounds to me that some fears of abandonment may cause you to hang on tightly causing to to drain others.

The focus needs to be a bit more on yourself and for yourself. As you do things that you enjoy then you can rely on you and your inner strengths rather than looking outward to get that fill.

You may also want to explore some self hypnosis cd's to work on your confidence. his stuff is incredible and you listen at night and you feel relaxed and you will develop wonderful strength. He has some on inner peace, confidence, etc. I think these could be helpful while you are doing your work in therapy.