TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker and Certified Professional Coach

How do I save a marriage when my wife only blames me for every

How do I save a marriage when my wife only blames me for every move or decision made? I support everything she needs and wants, but as soon as I fix something or buy something or replace something, she is on to the next thing to be mad about.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Welcome. I am a Licensed Master Social Worker with more than 20 years experience working with individuals and families on a variety of issues.

Clearly you are smart enough to know that problems in a relationship are caused by both people and not just one. sadly she is unable to look into herself and her behaviors to see how she may contribute to the issues. You are a gentleman to want to save the marriage and work on things and go to counseling together.

I am all for the couples counseling and it is deeply troubling that she says she will only go to help fix me....that may be your only shot and that once you are both in front of a good therapist they will be able to enlist her in the discussions and the issues in the marriage.

Her own issues make it easier for her to blame you for things rather than look at her part. You have the best chance if you are able to get her into therapy with you. Would she be able to respond to this request she knew that it meant saving the marriage than possibly losing it?

Let me know your thoughts.