Alicia_MSW, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Specializing in relationship/family counseling

my partner and i have been together for going on 3 yrs and

Customer Question

my partner and i have been together for going on 3 yrs and have 2 children one 5yrs old biologically not his, and the other is 15 months old on the 28th of this month. We have lived with in his parents home since the start of our relationship, his mother passed away of a heart attack when i was 3 1/2 months pregnant with his 1st. Has made things worse he has alcohol issues and  now our 15 month old is here it has only gotten worse finacially and emotionally, how do i get him to recognize that he has a problem and admit it to himself so he can get the help before i walk away please help me i dont want to loose my family... What can i do to help him fix it!
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Alicia_MSW replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'm Alicia. Thanks for asking your question - I'm happy to help you today.

The most pressing issue you're dealing with right now is the alcoholism. It's not possible to force him into treatment or force him to admit that he has a problem, and sometimes, things need to go from bad to worse for people with substance abuse problems to actually admit that they have a problem. But it also doesn't mean you need to wait for something serious to happen in order to try to help. It may be difficult, but one thing you should not do is try to rescue him. He needs to experience how harmful alcohol is and the damage it's causing - and that may be very hard for you right now - he needs tough love, so to speak. However, most substance abuse experts agree that this is the first step in helping someone with a problem. You may also want to talk to him in a nonjudgmental, caring manner about the impact of his problem on your life and express your concerns about how this is affecting your family, and let him know that you believe he needs treatment. You can help him find a treatment center with this website:
Encourage him to attend an AA meeting (see this website for more info and about how to find a meeting:
You may also wish to read this information:
Good luck.