Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed as a Psychologist and Marriage & Family Therapist.
63993671

I am interested in becoming a certified life coach. What Board

I am interested in becoming a certified life coach. What Board certifies this; and is there really training involved, and what actually is a life coach? If this is a real profession, where should I get my training? I have been married to the same man - we are a fun couple with a damn good marriage for over 47 years. We were joint owners matchmaking service for over 2 years. Do I really need training?

Dr Levang :

Dr Levang :

You present a very interesting question. A quick look on the internet is going to show you a number of certification programs for life coaches. These will provide you with specialized training.

Customer:

I can see that's true

Customer:

That's why I can't believe the number of places that profess to be training associations

Customer:

some 6 weeks, some 6 months

Dr Levang :

However, you can hang out a shingle any time. There is no national certification and so anyone can call themselves a life coach whether they have training or not.

Customer:

Do you think the training would be beneficial?

Dr Levang :

Yes...there are a ton of choices out there for training.

Customer:

Hmmm

Customer:

How do I know which one is legitimate - or is it a "crap shoot"

Dr Levang :

It depends on what you feel you know and the type of client you decide to work with.

Dr Levang :

I think it's a crap shoot because of the lack of standards and national licensing/certification.

Customer:

I have no one special at the present time; none set - what is a life coach?

Customer:

Is it just someone to help you with life choices?

Dr Levang :

A life coach works individually with a "client" to set goals and hold the client accountable to those goals.

Dr Levang :

Yes...help with life choices...

Dr Levang :

Like the sports coach we are all familiar with...the life coach approaches clients in a similar fashion.

Customer:

Well, I guess there's not much more to say - I imagine if you go to a "school", they might help with your "shingle" so to speak.

Customer:

Oh - interesting

Customer:

association

Customer:

Ok -

Customer:

Well, thank you

Dr Levang :

What they will do is to "teach" you their method...provide you with their blueprint/plan...they will have specific tools for you to use. (forms, tests, etc.). In that respect, you will be getting a "product" and then you can decide if you want to use these materials, adapt them, or find your own.

Dr Levang :

Some of the schools will put you in their "network" so that you have access to clients/customers who call in looking for someone trained in their method.

Customer:

Similar to what we did in our matchmaking service. There were a lot of "Institutions" wanting to take thousands of dollars from us but we ended up doing it our way

Customer:

Ok - Dr. Levang - this is a great way to get an answer - having the chat

Dr Levang :

Yes...so you have been down this road before and know what pitfalls to avoid!

Customer:

I like your style!

Dr Levang :

Thanks!

Customer:

Well, I didn't spend $ks - and I don't know if we would have been better off - -- but it was our choice

Customer:

Anyway - I have a better handle on this - thanks again

Dr Levang :

And...yes..this is a great way to pose a question, talk to someone with knowledge, and chat back and forth until you get a satisfactory answer!

Customer:

Really almost a relief - to go back and forth like this.

Customer:

Have a nice evening

Dr Levang :

Yes...you are getting a real time answer!

Dr Levang :

You have a great evening too! Glad I was able to help you this evening.