Howard Wise
Howard Wise, Counselor
Experience:  Counseling with a compassionate ear and a loving heart.

What steps should we take together to be certain we are creating

What steps should we take together to be certain we are creating a healthy balance? I really do not want either of us to feel like we have to "answer" to the other because we are both choosing to be with the other. We always communicate and both he and I make certain the other one feels loved and appreciated. This is really our only issue and I want it resolved sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX on the surface.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Howard Wise replied 4 years ago.
You are asking some very good questions.

A healthy balance becomes a reality when each member of the couple is sensitive to the others needs and feelings. In a healthy relationship there should never be the need to answer to each other because each partner is aware of what is acceptable behavior and what is not acceptable behavior. So, that's the solution here.

Your boyfriend needs to be aware of what you can live with, and what you cannot live with, and he has to behave within these guidelines. If he has a problem with that then it's possible that the two of you are not compatible enough to be in a healthy relationship with each other.

I am really enjoying your questions and I'm glad that you continue to post them to me. I need to let you know that I will be going off-line for the next few hours. I will be back again later this evening and I would love to continue working with you if you like. If that's too long to wait please feel free to post your next questions for input from the other experts who are available.