Alicia_MSW, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Specializing in relationship/family counseling

I dont know if this is your level of expertise; if so let

I don't know if this is your level of expertise; if so let me know.

I am having a biopsy for prostate cancer on Friday due to suspicious test results and possible genetic predispostion due to my father and one of his two brothers being diagnosed with prostate cancer (but not until age 70 or so). The stress of waiting for the test, and then thinking about the week or so (not sure how long it takes) for the results and then the thought about what sort of treatment I would seek is becoming high.

I have been reading artilces from the web and even ordered three books to assess my changes of having prostate cancer and, if so, how to handle it. Is this a good idea, or should I just try and put it out of my mind. The closer I get the biopsy the more stressful it is to view any data about the possibilites. One problem I have is lack of a support system if needed.

Any suggestions on how to handle the situatin best appreciated!
Hi, I'm Alicia. Thanks for asking your question - I'm happy to try to help.

With any medical condition, it's very tempting to spend a great deal of time online self-diagnosing your condition, researching possible treatments, causes, and so on, and so on. You can probably literally drive yourself up the wall due to an overload of information - much of which may not apply to your situation at all.

Of course, it's nerve-wracking (to say the least) to have a biopsy, and especially if you have a family history of prostate cancer (although just because you have a family history of a certain disease or disorder does not mean that you are guaranteed to get it - and especially if your father and his brothers were much older when they were first diagnosed.)But it's completely understandable that you'd want to be as informed as you possibly can be.

But, you're not doing yourself any favors by obsessing about it prior to the actual test. If it turns out to be nothing but a false alarm, you've spent so much unnecessary time working yourself up. And worrying about it won't change the outcome.

So it's a good idea to be informed, but you have to draw the line and say, okay. I have read as much as I can at this point, and there's nothing I can do until I hear the test results. It's hard, but try to avoid doing too much online research right now, especially before your test. If it turns out to be something, you can worry about it then. But now, it's important to just relax (as much as you can.)

In other words, it's best not to get ten steps ahead of yourself before you've even taken the first step :) Best of luck.