Howard Wise
Howard Wise, Counselor
Experience:  Counseling with a compassionate ear and a loving heart.
66386897

Me and my boyfriend have been together for almost 5 years now.

Me and my boyfriend have been together for almost 5 years now. We even have a 3-year-old son together. Yet I don't think I'm happy at all. He's very controlling and not a very happy person. He can turn almost any situation against me just by yelling. I never feel good, and I think it's making me depressed... I really had hopes for him back when we decided to have our child, but now it just feels like all he wants to do is complain. When I bring anything up about his son, or spending time with me, he just says he works and I need to get off his back. But he's too rough with our son. He almost bullies him. I just don't know what to do. I know I'm not perfect, but I aim everyday to try and make him happy... It's just not working anymore and I don't know what else to do. Thoughts?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Howard Wise replied 4 years ago.
Good evening, this is Howard,

I'm sorry to hear your sad story. My impression is that your boyfriend feels like he is stuck in this situation and it makes him very unhappy. That's why he's so critical of you and yells. I think he wants out.

At this point the best course of action would be to seek couple's counseling for you and your boyfriend. Your son has to grow up in a loving environment in order for him to thrive, and you need to feel loved and secure in your relationship with your boyfriend.