TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker and Certified Professional Coach

hi my partner and i parted 6 weeks ago after the first 6 days

Customer Question

hi my partner and i parted 6 weeks ago after the first 6 days he called me and asked if i wanted to be good friends i said i was ok with that, we went out for meals and every time it ended up a mess we were at each other throats, so i said to him that i did not want to be his date or friend as every time we go out i come home crying, The other night he was out drinking then came home to my housee then jumped in my bed and he is the one that texts all the time but he was the one that finished it , can you explain what he is doing ?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 4 years ago.
Good day.
it sounds like he wants the best of both worlds...the relationship has ended for a reason and all endings can bring up feelings for sadness which clearly he feels as well. The desire for friendship doesn't always work because as you can see many feelings are still in play and unresolved. If he continues to come in and out and expect you to jump each time, then it will be up to you to decide when you can no longer accept that and have a complete boundary on what it is you want. A relationship or nothing but the back and forth seems to hurt you too much.
Why does he do this? Because he is confused too but also may know that it hasn't worked but still wants to be in it for the good times but not the more difficult ones.
you will decide when enough is enough and you are ready to fully move on.