Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Counselor
Experience:  I have a degree in psychology and worked with many couples. I am happily married and have been for 10 years.

I have been married for almost 6 years. The first 5 were very

I have been married for almost 6 years. The first 5 were very good years but over the past several months my husband has experienced a few setbacks with his health that have left him unable to workout. He also lost his job during the same time period. Since then he has become very hard to live with. If I try to talk to him about anything he answers me in very short answers or is rude, he refuses to have sex, and he's recently told me he needs time away from me because I'm "smothering" him. What I can do to save my marriage? I feel like I've gone out of the way to be extra complimentary, cook his favorite meals, run errands for him, etc. But the walking on eggshells and lack of respect are really weighing me down.
Yes, I understand how this must be difficult for you. He may not feel confident since he went through these issues. It sounds like he may be depressed and taking it out on you. He may not even realize he is depressed. It seems like you tried to be supportive of him and do your part. However, sometimes people do not realize what they have. Some people do not appreciate and treat the ones they love the worse. They only realize when they loose that person. This could be what is happening. I would say maybe try to give him some space. Let him know you love him and will be there for him whenever he needs, but try to give him some space for a little. Then I would say sit down and have a heart to heart conversation. Tell him exactly how you feel about the way he is acting and treating you as well as how much you care about him. If he agreed to counseling I would recommend couples counseling. I hope this helped. Please let me know if you need clarification. I wish you all the best!