Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed as a Psychologist and Marriage & Family Therapist.
63993671

Hi, I am a graduate school student working on a research paper

Hi, I am a graduate school student working on a research paper and just came upon this site so I have to test it out. My paper is on causes for violence in pre-marital relationships. What do you feel are the top 4 reasons and why?

Dr Levang :

Dr Levang :

I would like to help you with your question.

Customer:

ok with me!

Dr Levang :

As a clinical psychologist of some 30 years, I have worked with engaged couples. As well, I spent 13 years working in a minimum security prison and so I have a great deal of experience with offenders.

Dr Levang :

My top 4 reasons for violence are:

Dr Levang :

Not in any order...

Dr Levang :

* violence in family of origin

Customer:

ok I only got family of origin?

Dr Levang :

Our ability to form relationships with other people is based - in part -on the blueprint we see in our own home. If our parents were abusive to each other, abuse to their children, we are going to see that as normal behavior....a sort of permission giving. Even though we may gain some evidence that other people's homes are not like this...we still have this paradigm in our mind.

Dr Levang :

*inability to manage our emotions

Customer:

you are matching all my topics...

Dr Levang :

Some people have not learned how to manage their emotional life. They were never held accountable for anger outbursts, for inappropriate behavior, or were not taught to be respectful.

Dr Levang :

*mental health issues

Dr Levang :

Some who is clinically depressed, suffers from panic attacks,or is bi-polar, for example, may not have the necessary controls to maintain appropriate behavior.

Dr Levang :

*chemical or drug use/abuse

Dr Levang :

Certainly we can expect that someone who is under the influence of mood-altering chemicals would be a candidate for violence in a love relationship.

Dr Levang :

Those are the 4 causes I would see in such situations.

Dr Levang :

Of course, I have not said anything about the victim. But...a logical question would be why the victim tolerates this treatment. LIkely that is a subject for another paper.

Customer:

so how does one get to work at a website such as this? this is cool. All of your answers matched my research but I was pretending like I was someone whom was in an abusive relationship that was embarrassed and didn't know where to turn. Where does everyone turn to today for information? Even people with low economic status can go to the library and access the computer for free.

Customer:

thank you for your help and yes you certainly asked the million dollar question!

Dr Levang :

I am glad I could be of help to you! Good luck on your paper.

Dr Levang :

There is an application and screening process to work for JustAnswer. Also, a test of the material in your category.

Dr Levang :

Yes..this is a cool site. There are tons of categories from car repair to homework help.

Dr Levang :

I'd be glad to help you with your psychology questions in the future.

Dr Levang :

Just put my name in the question and it will come directly to me.

Dr Levang :

Remember to press the Green Accept button!