Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience:  Ph.D. Licensed Psychologist

How do i define our relationship for her kids and other friends

How do i define our relationship for her kids and other friends and family so that they know what is going on? I don't have a title since we never married, I'm not their step father. We are off and on and really don't call each other boyfriend and girlfriend anymore, which is embarrassing anyway. Any suggestions on how to handle that?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Paige replied 4 years ago.
Do you really feel that you need to define it after 12 years? I think that you both need to get the relationship on the right track first before you can say what you are, because in reality, you aren`t exactly sure where you are going and are in limbo. Basically I am saying that you need to work on defining it for real by making it one way or another. If you are not considering yourselves to be boyfriend and girlfriend, then you need to work on your relationship so that you actually are boyfriend and girlfriend. Make your situation what it is instead of the other way around. Right now, you are in a grey area. If you want to be in the black and white area then do that part first.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Didn't get the last part. "Black and White"? The problem with this for me is that when we tell others that we're back together for the 20th time, it sounds embarassing. Why would anyone believe that we are going to survive this time? Including me! I don't think I can tell me friends or family about it if that's what we decide to do.
Expert:  Dr. Paige replied 4 years ago.
Basically. I am saying that before you de fine it for other people, you need to define it for yourselves. You also need to concentrate on fixing the relationship first before you should worry about what other people think about it.