TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker and Certified Professional Coach

Hi, I am a women renting a flat and living alone, and am

I am a women renting a flat and living alone, and am looking to make some women friends for chat. I think the best way to do this would be join some community site online and meetup with some people in my city.

I am a bit worried about doing this and have some concerns, firstly I am not sure what to talk about and not talk about with strangers. I don't have any family, my own parents are old and stone deaf. I don't have a Job, or exciting life at present.

Second, I am not really great at outputting my mental viewing into verbal communication, as I usually need an extra few seconds to get words together, but this is a real drawback as by then the conversation has moved on. As a result I think one to one relationships suit me better.

I also have a slight hearing problem so pubs would be out of the question.

Any advise on the issues above would be appreciated.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 4 years ago.
Hi thank you for joining me. First I would like to commend your courage to put yourself out there with me and talk of some difficult issues. I would also like to say that I am proud that you are looking to do some things to increase your social activities and enjoyment in life. You deserve that. I like the idea of find a meetup group in your area where you could meet some people. It may take some time to get comfortable but if you push yourself a little bit, you just may be surprised at your ability to develop comfort. What are some of the things you like to enjoy in life? Sports, books, history, watching sports, card playing...whatever it is that is the type of group or meetup group I would suggest you look for. This way your interest and knowledge in those areas can help in overcoming your fears about connecting to others in a group setting. When you connect around common interests then you don't need to at first delve into the most private of your thoughts or details about your life until those relationships have been built and your trust is there. If it is reading books or a book club for an example then find a group that gets together to do this activity...then a lot of the conversation is around that. As your comfort level increases so will your trust in yourself and your confidence. Again I applaud your willingness and please know that you have a lot to offer people. LEt me know how else I can support you.