Dr.G.
Dr.G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota
15682972

I met my husband of 1year, 3years ago. He is an ex marine and

I met my husband of 1year, 3years ago. He is an ex marine and rugby player. He started spitting at me during arguments quite early on in our relationship. I asked him never to do it again but we were planning the wedding and so my threats to leave him became idle. But now he has recently escalated to physical violence. I am not a saint and can give verbally as good as I get. I have hit him first sometimes and so I appreciate I deserve what I get.
I am a very strong female and no one would ever think that I would tolerate my husband behaving like this. I have recently been promoted and earn more money than him. Could this be the cause of the escalation or could it be something else?
You are in an abusive relationship that has shown signs of abuse since before you married him. He blames you for his actions. You continue to put up with it. Therefore, there is no reason for him to stop. The cause of his anger is himself and not you or the promotion. This is how he is and how he deals with things. he needs help and you need to get out.