Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Counselor
Experience:  PHD LPC

I have been with my boyfriend nearly 5 years, however we have

I have been with my boyfriend nearly 5 years, however we have hit a rough patch. I am currently unemployed trying to get a permanent job for 2 months I am trying very hard but am finding job market tough. My boyfriend is self employed, he turned down a place to rent as felt it would be better to buy in a years time, I cant buy/rent I have no job...we are on a break as this is stressful fpor us..I used to stay round his parents twice a week but after a huge row with my partner on new years eve he feels we both need to get sorted so new doors can open..I do understand this but am scared he will leave me if I dont find a job in a few months
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Keane :

I can help you today.

Dr. Keane :

I am sorry you are going through this rough time, I understand the stress you are feeling. However, if your boyfriend would leave you due to you being unemployed I would question what type of person he is. Couples are suppose to support each other during the tough times, pull together rather than push away. If this situation causes him to leave then as difficult as it may be to hear, he isn't worthy of you. You deserve someone who is supportive and loving, you did not ask to be a victim of the job market and it is very difficult to find a job today. If he is self employed then he should recognize that fact.

Dr. Keane :

You are doing the best you can in the situation, it could also be that he is using this as an excuse to push away and he may not actually be able to tell you why he feels the need to "get sorted".

Dr. Keane :

Please feel free to leave your comments on this post and accept when you leave the chat so I get credit for my response.