Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience:  Ph.D. Licensed Psychologist
15718554

my husband is a hospital doctor. he is dreaming of becomming

my husband is a hospital doctor. he is dreaming of becomming full time poker player. i found out about his addiction when i was three months pregnant. i tried to make him understand that our relationship is suffering and the unborn child will have no future. he never gave his attention to me or to my baby who is 18 months now. i have gone through domestic abuse for two years in this marriage. now he say he will change i gave him another chance but i came to kno he is till addicted to poker. he hides from me and abuses me verbally if i try and talk to him. plz show me the right way. i am cared he will throw me and my child out of his property. please advise.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Paige replied 5 years ago.
Hello. I'm sorry you are going through this. You really need to get out of this situation. If not for anything except for your baby. You have to get your child away from a man who is abusing you. It is not a healthy way to raise a child and it will effect the baby immensely. Is there a family member you can leave and go stay with until you can get on your feet? You shouldn't be scared he will throw you out, you should want to leave on your own! Don't let him control you and the situation. You owe it to your baby to get away from the abuse. Maybe after you leave, he will finally learn and change, maybe not. If he knows you are afraid he will kick you out and that you rely on him then he has control over you, and this is a bad thing. Please think about your baby first and foremost.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i am getting divoce filled . and trying to take control of mylife. i hope this is the right thing to do.
Expert:  Dr. Paige replied 5 years ago.
As difficult as it is, it is most definitely the right thing to do. For you and for your child. The most important job you have right now is being a great parent. When you are in a situation that he is putting you in, it makes it difficult to do so. Good luck. Keep strong.