Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience:  Ph.D. Licensed Psychologist

Hi, I am absolutely devastated and dont know what to do. I

Customer Question

Hi, I am absolutely devastated and don't know what to do. I have been with my partner for just over one year and he is serving away atm for 6 months. At my christmas do I ended up snogging someone I work with and other stuff but was unbelievably drunk and hardly knew what I was doing. I absolutely adore my bf and love him with all my heart, but the guilt is eating me up and I don't know what i should do :(
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Paige replied 4 years ago.
Hello. You have to make a decision. Honesty is always the best way to go, regardless of the consequences. If you do decide to keep it a secret, can you live with yourself for the rest of your life? If you respect your boyfriend, you will know that you need to tell him. He may break up with you and you need to prepared for that. Weigh your options and decide what you can live with.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do respect him, but don't think I could put him through that much pain. I would lose everything if I told him. We have plans to get married and move out and I don't want to lose the love of my life over a drunken stupid mistake. Do you really think that telling him would be for the best and making both out lives miserable?

Expert:  Dr. Paige replied 4 years ago.
I'm posing that question to you. Do you think that by not telling him, that you can live with yourself?? What would you think if he did the same to you?? Would you want to know? It's your decision, I'm just putting out the question on what you think you can live with. If you don't tell him, what if he finds out later in your future?? I just want you to lay out all of the possibilities and think it through before you decide.