Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience:  Ph.D. Licensed Psychologist

been going out with my boyfriend for 8 months. I noticed a

been going out with my boyfriend for 8 months. I noticed a distance between us for 3 weeks, and he has alot of stress right now with his job, getting a DUI, and staring a extra job as a ski coach. He went from seeing me 1 to 2 nights a week to next to nothing because of everything that is been happening. everyday I have been asking him to talk and he says picking on him. I guess we have both been not so nice to each other, so 2 nights ago I told him that I was tired of the distance between us, and that he had enough going on in his life right now, and that I would make it easy on him and back out for now so he can focous on other things then being mad at me. I told him when he gets his head, heart and life balanced, that he know where to find me if he wants to work it out. It was a calm yalk, and even kissed good night. 2 days went by, with no contact and I got a text message wishing me a happy new year. I wished him the same back. I dont know if I made a mistake. Should I just sit back and wait for him to make a move, does this mean he may never call me, or should I make a move like write to him. My gut tells me to let him think things out, but do you think he took that as we are done?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Paige replied 4 years ago.
Hello. I think you did absolutely the right thing. Giving him space and time is the best thing for both of you right now. You ended it on the perfect note by letting him know that you will be there for him. You can't force a relationship and if he has a lot of stress going on and you felt the distance anyway, then you really have no choice right now than to wait it out. Where you are right now is a good spot because you don't want to be in a forced relationship where you are both are unhappy and stressed. Just wait it out as you are doing.