Rev.Dr. August Abbott
Rev.Dr. August Abbott, Clergy
Experience:  Ordained minister: Counselor (spiritual/life)
1604863

Hi. I need advice. I always felt like i was dissapointing my

Hi. I need advice. I always felt like i was dissapointing my parents so ive lie once to cover up and make them feel proud of me and its works. so i keep on lieing and its started to be so complicated to make the lie believable that i just disconect completely with them for a long time. no letter call anything.. i feel so ashame to face them. i dnt know what to do.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Rev.Dr. August Abbott replied 2 years ago.
-- Of course you know what to do. Stop lying. Lies require a very good memory and for the person perpetrating the untruth to always be thinking and remembering. As you've learned, this isn't easy. It's a heavy burden to bear.

What you need to do is two things: First, trust your parents to love you unconditionally. If you think that telling them a truth will be disappointing, then say so! For example, they ask what you're doing lately and you WANT to tell them you've got a very successful job and are thriving. The truth is that you're working part time for minimum wage, but looking for better.
Tell them "I'm doing the best I can, but I'm afraid it's not too great right now. I'd love to hear your ideas at what more I can try"

It's better to listen to their advice, even if you end up ignoring it, than to be dishonest. TRUST them enough to be honest.

The second thing you need to do is trust YOURSELF. Accept that what and who you are right now, is the best you can be with circumstances the way they are. This doesn't mean you'll stop trying and it certainly doesn't mean that this will last forever. It's just the way it is for right now.

Accepting that there is shame to living a dishonest life or telling people who love us, lies -- indicates that you know what's right and are ready to live without the weight of having to keep track of that terrible "web we weave when first we practice to deceive"

I know you'll be alright. Follow your heart

Rev.Dr. August Abbott, Clergy
Experience: Ordained minister: Counselor (spiritual/life)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is just hard.. been 1 year i didnt talk to them even though they tried much time to contact me.. how can i look at them in the face? ive always been afraid to lose them and their love (that y the lies start).
i started losing faith in everything, ive even stop going to church cause of this.

all my familly have always think of me as a great achiever (and i was at the beginning) but then it became to much pressure and i couldnt take it.. what will they think, what message that will send to my small sisters? so much questions.. making the first step is always difficult.. and all the gossip that will go on after (nosy neighbours, jealous people etc..) will be hard -- not for me but to see how my parents n sister will cope with it, is what will hurt me much.. i dnt want them to lose their pride infront of others because of me...
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.