Dear Debra
Dear Debra, Advice Columnist
Experience:  I have been an Advice columnist for 14 years. My column is published weekly in local newpapers.

My partner broke up with me because of I did not understand

My partner broke up with me because of I did not understand why she did not come for the holidays. She canceled on the day of her flight to California and I got mad and said bad things and next thing I knew my partner broke up and now we are friends as she said until she is ready to come back. Her sister got diagnosed with cancer that week and I got diagnosed with cancer last month and was hoping she will be there for my first treatment the week of Christmas, I love her and was wondering if this relationship has any hope at all of getting back together. She said we both need "space."
Yes, I do feel like you both could get back together. I feel that she is going through alot because two people she loves have cancer. People react differently to things and I feel that she is asking for space to clear her mind so that she can handle what is going on. She need to process what is happening in her life. She doesn't want to see you go through this battle with cancer, she loves you and doesn't want to see you hurt. Often times people feel helpless and feel like they have no control over what is happening. She has no control and feels helpless that she can not fix what you are going through. You are facing a lot right now and will be going under treatment. You want her to be ther e but I feel she is scared and worried. But I want you to explain how you feel that you really wanted her there for your treatment, even if it is just as friends. You need someone right now and it would be nice to have this type of support right now. I don't want you to got through this alone. I am here if you need to talk.