psychlady
psychlady, Counselor
Experience:  I have over 16 years experience in treating adults presenting with a variety of relationship issues
52358615

My boyfriend and i were dating four and a half years before

My boyfriend and i were dating four and a half years before we moved in together. I was excited to move in and be able to see him and be with him every day. We moved in and he had a job lined up before we moved but i didnt. I woke up out of the blue one morning at five with the feeling that i should break up with him. I have never doubted our relationship or had these feelings before. I woke up and started crying. I couldnt sleep, eat or sit still for about a week after that morning. I went to a doctor and i didnt really like what she said. She told me that maybe i really felt this way. Even after i had told her we have never had problems and that i have never questioned or doubted us. She gave me a prescription for anti depression pills and when i was on them i felt better than ever. I felt so sure about everything. I quit the depression meds but not in the recommended way. We noticed too, my boyfriend and i, that i get these feelings around my monthly cycle. It sometimes lasts a day or two or can last up to a week. It doesnt happen every month but sometimes can happen for three or four months at a time. I have been going through this for the last two almost three years. When i do i cant sleep or eat or just want to cry. When he has to leave for work, i find myself not wanting him to go and just wanting to spend all day with him. Any advice on what may be going on?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  psychlady replied 2 years ago.
We are therapists not doctors. What kind of expert do you want?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just want advice on why this may be happening and if the stress from moving away from family could cause it or if it may be anxiety or depression.
Expert:  psychlady replied 2 years ago.

It does sound like you are having symptoms related to depression. Depression can cause bouts of crying, sadness, hopelessness, and lack of motivation. This can be sporadic or can be consistent over time. Many times people with mild to moderate depression will not have depression every day. This does not mean that the remedy can be more regular than the disturbance of mood. When you have these symptoms sporadically over a period of time it would be helpful to seek treatment that is consistent so that the roller coaster ride you are describing does not happen. If you seek treatment during these cycles or between these cycles you can achieve a stability that benefits you. Any triggers such as stress can be very consistent with having this periodic depression. You would benefit from seeking a mental health evaluation irregardless of when you experience stress. Then you are prepared when stress does occur. Find a mental health professional in your area now and then you are prepared when the time comes.

Please press accept; this is the only way I am compensated

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So it could be depression that causes me to go through these times and its not anything regarding our relationship. And the depression can cause the same emotions to come back over and over if not treated consistently? I know there is a history of depression in my family too which could be a factor too. I have read other peoples stories too and a lot of them have the same problems or feelings. Thank you for helping. I just really wanted to know if what i go through could be depression or something similar.
Expert:  psychlady replied 2 years ago.
Yes depression can cause those emotions. It can be for no reason. Depression just has a way of returning with no rhyme or reason. Find someone to help you. You will feel better and this may be as simple as seeing a therapist for a brief time
psychlady, Counselor
Experience: I have over 16 years experience in treating adults presenting with a variety of relationship issues