Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Counselor
Experience:  PHD LPC
14832673

i want to know if i over reacted to a comment my boyfriend

Customer Question

i want to know if i over reacted to a comment my boyfriend made. ihave a 29 yr old daughter who is not married and has never had a child.i stated that i would be willing to pay for artificial insemination in order to have a grandchild.he got this smirk on his face and when questioned admitted to jokingly thinking of helping her situation.i am hurt and do not think the comment was funny .did he cross the line?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Keane :

Hi, I can help you today.

Dr. Keane :

You may not have overreacted as much as he was insensitive to you. It was not the smartest thing to say and if he impulsively tried to make a joke out of it, think of it as just that and let it go. I would not think it was funny either but I also would not take it so seriously unless he has done something in the past to make you react this way. He should apologize for him making something as serious as this a joke, maybe he just didn't know what to say so he said the first "tension" breaking thing he thought of....don't let it ruin your day.

Dr. Keane :

You are also a wonderful mom to do this for your daughter if that is what she decides. Good luck! Please accept so I get credit for my response.