Suzanne, Therapist, LCSW
Experience:  Experienced in treating trauma, relationship issues, co-dependency

Been on 2 dates with a woman. We are both 60 years old. We

Customer Question

Been on 2 dates with a woman. We are both 60 years old. We were both married for around 30 years. Been told not to be too nice of a guy because women do not like that. Is this true? Don"t know how to handle a 3rd date , where to take her, how often I should call her, what places to take her. She told me that she wants to take it slow. HELP.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Suzanne replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for bringing your question to Just Answer!

Since she's told you that she wants to take things slow, I would keep contact to about 2 times a want her to have a chance to miss you and to look forward to your calls.

That thing about being "too nice"...just be yourself, and don't try to change yourself to try to make her happy. Women like men who can make decisions, who don't always say "I don't know...what do you want to do?" and expect her to come up with all the ideas. She will appreciate that you took the time to think of something interesting to do and made the arrangements.

If you've gone on two "sit down" dates--meeting for coffee/drinks/dinner--it may be good to come up with an idea for a more active date this time. Is there a museum, exhibition, art show or some other place that you can take her? Anything that would have the two of you actively interacting. If you are worried about picking the "right thing," come up with two options and ask her which she would prefer. Presenting options is much better than asking her what she wants to do. Women like it when a man takes the lead.