psychlady, Counselor
Experience:  I have over 16 years experience in treating adults presenting with a variety of relationship issues

My boyfriend and I have been in a relationship for almost a

My boyfriend and I have been in a relationship for almost a year and a half. He has abused me, physically and mentally. I feel that he may be bi-polar. He has SEVERE jealousy and control issues. He has stalked me and threatened to hurt me and my pet if I leave him. Could his issues be helped or resolved with the help of drugs and or therapy? Is it worth staying in this relationship?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  psychlady replied 4 years ago.

I answered this already but have some points to add. If he is an addict then he is prone to unpredictable moods. Addiction can add to an already controlling personality. Antidepressants do nothing to control his jealousy or his addiction. When you leave do not tell him or give him advanced notice. Plan a safe way out. When someone says I will hurt you there is a chance they mean it. Keep that in mind when you plan. I would plan for when he is at work or gone. Call your local women's shelter if you need help. He seems to have no redeemable qualities at this point in his life so you are staying for a minimum of reasons. Don't let anyone say they will hurt you.