psychlady, Counselor
Experience:  I have over 16 years experience in treating adults presenting with a variety of relationship issues

My boyfriend and I have been in a relationship for almost a

My boyfriend and I have been in a relationship for almost a year and a half. He has abused me, physically and mentally. I feel that he may be bi-polar. He has SEVERE jealousy and control issues. He has stalked me and threatened to hurt me and my pet if I leave him. Could his issues be helped or resolved with the help of drugs and or therapy? Is it worth staying in this relationship?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  psychlady replied 4 years ago.

If someone is physically and mentally abusive it is never okay to stay in that relationship. Being bipolar does make you abusive, controlling or jealous. Those are characteristics that one has for other reasons. When someone is being abused the reason doesn't matter. No one can medicate such a personality. They can improve by attending therapy and taking medication but abusive behavior needs extensive help and even then it is iffy whether things will change. You have to put your well being in front of his. You need to leave this relationship so that you can say by leaving that abusing you is not okay. When someone is controlling and jealous they are prone to avoid methods to change their personality. You need to protect yourself and have a safe plan to leave as soon as possible.

Please press accept