Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.

My friend has shut down. What can or should I do to maintain

My friend has shut down. What can or should I do to maintain oir relationship until she is no longer shut down.

As a reliable friend, you may want to let her know that you're there for her. Unless she is refusing to talk to you for some reason, then yes, try to keep in touch with her. A friend in need would benefit from emotional support even if you do not know the cause for her shutting down. She herself may not know what she's experiencing; depressed mood may lead to social withdrawal.

If you detach yourself from her at this time, she may believe that she's not worthy to be around when she feels down. You can still behave the same way as you've done when she felt better or was more engaged with you. It is possible that through your contact, she cane come out of her shell faster than if you leave her alone. You are not intrusive by trying to be supportive.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is shut down is very paiful for me.I miss her so much. I am not sure about what i can do for myself u til she comes out of her shut down. Sometimes fear of no contact frightens me.
You may send her a care package (make her some cookies or brownies) or even a card in the mail (rather than email) and let her know that you miss her company. Let her know that you do not know what is going on with her and that you'd like to be there for her one way or another. You can be honest with her to let her know that her withdrawal is hurting you and list specific examples of those things you usually do together that were fun.