psychlady, Counselor
Experience:  I have over 16 years experience in treating adults presenting with a variety of relationship issues

I have met my soul mate. we are both single parents, an I want

I have met my soul mate. we are both single parents, an I want to get married to him, he is hesitant to marry me for two reasons, the first being tht the breakup with his ex was difficult, and that he feels I want to get married for the sake of being married, he doesnèt believe I want to be married to him because I love him. We have been together 2 years, we do not live together. He felt pressure towards the end of August and we broke up for 2 months he called missing me and saying he was miserable without me. We got back together, however nothing has changed, and I do not want to put pressure on him until he is miserable again. I want us to work. How can I get a lifetime committment from him?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  psychlady replied 4 years ago.

It sounds like you two have different goals in mind. The key is not who will get their choice but a compromise. You have to decide how badly you want to get married. Is it at the expense of this relationship or can you find a compromise that you can both live with. Maybe a long term plan for marriage or residing together for awhile. If in the end he won't change his mind then it is up to you whether you can be in this relationship as it is. You should be able to talk about this. Whatever his decision is right now is up to you whether it is something you can live with. Only you can decide if it is worth sticking around. I would say calmly to him that you just want to know down the road what he is willing to do and what he isn't. Don't bring up marriage. Think of all the possibilities. If he says he can only live together then you know that is his decision. It is up to you to depend on whether he changes his mind. There is also couples counseling if you want a professional but this seems like a discussion for the two of you.

Please press accept; this is the only way I am compensated