TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Counselor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues
54658078

I Married to mywife fourty four years. I notice a big difference

I Married to mywife fourty four years. I notice a big difference when she is with the grandchildres and there our son and daugher , when she is working with and sometime she does no want to do what she used to do in the bussiness , she what dignosed by two siquieter that she is bipolar11, she is taking lamictal 150, clonezam 0.5, 3 time at day Lexapro 20mg, please help to underestand her better in way to help her.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  TherapistMaryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like this could be one of two things: either your wife's medications need adjusted or she needs to add therapy to her treatment.

Medications can be very helpful with illnesses such as Bipolar. They help regulate the brain chemistry and improve mood and stability. But eventually, your body becomes used to them and they are not as effective. This is when you need re evaluated so the medication can be increased or changed. It is very common to have this occur.

Also, if your wife is not in therapy, she needs to be. It would help her learn how to cope with her side effects and help her to talk out how she feels. The therapist can also help monitor her progress and symptoms in case she needs a medication adjustment.

Talk with your doctor about a therapy referral. Or you can contact your local United Way for resources in your community. Your community mental health center offers low cost/no cost therapy as well.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

If you found your answer helpful, please click the green ACCEPT button. I am not paid for my work unless you accept. Thank you!