Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Counselor
Experience:  PHD LPC
14832673

My daughter is 28 years old and is a elementary teacher. We

My daughter is 28 years old and is a elementary teacher. We adopted her when she was 6 weeks old. We had a great relationship. The teen years were a bit rocky but got through it.. She is a beautiful young lady with many talents. She is very conscientious and excels at what ever she puts her mind to. When she is nice she is very very nice but when she is stressed or grumpy she is awful. She has a very quick tongue and has hurt many people with it. She is outright mean. She is aware of this and tries hard to control it but it body language and eyes definetly shows her anger.. I also have 2 sons, 1 daughter in law and 2 beautiful grandchildren. I love family get togethers but she always creates such tension. We all walk on eggshells for fear of getting her angry or upset. If she does get angry, my daughter in law leaves right away with the grandkids. She said to me that she does not want to attend our family get togethers if my daughter is there...it is tense...She has attended as she says she knows it is important to me but does not like it. My daughter has no remorse. She thinks she is right and we are all wrong . Her opinion is right and she is not open to anyone elses ideas. Her comment is "We dont support her" She will not talk to me for weeks. When I tried to talk to her about it, she got so angry she would not talk to me for a month. What do I do?

Dr. Keane :

I can help you today.

Dr. Keane :

one of the things you can do is to help yourself understand the your daughter's personality by going to see a therapist yourself. No matter how much love you gave her , as an adopted child there are abandonment issues (by the birth mother) that she may feel but never addressed.

Dr. Keane :

If she make everyone feel "like walking on eggshells" when she is around, she may have a personality disorder and you might want to read the book "walking on eggshells" which will probably describe her, you'll recognize her in the book and there are suggestions on how to "live" with this type of person.

Dr. Keane :

I am sure you did an excellent job raising her and loving her. Unfortunately she needs to address her psychological issues and hopefully she will.