Suzanne, Therapist, LCSW
Experience:  Experienced in treating trauma, relationship issues, co-dependency

When I confronted him he used the word honestly

For Suzanne:
When I confronted my boyfriend about his affairs and especially his past relationship with his ex. He prefaced his response with 'honestly'. Is there any truth to this? I had heard that when someone is getting ready to lie, they tend to use words such as these to reinforce their lie. Actually he says this exact statement all the time. If you were telling the truth you would not need to do so right? I ahve ehard that when someone respce a response with the words honestly right?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Suzanne replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for bringing your question to Just Answer! I don't know if there is scientific proof that when a person says "honestly" they're lying...but in my own life, that has proven to be the case. here's an article on how to tell if a person is lying: