Dear Debra
Dear Debra, Advice Columnist
Experience:  I have been an Advice columnist for 14 years. My column is published weekly in local newpapers.

I really love my husband. The one thing that really frustrates

Customer Question

I really love my husband. The one thing that really frustrates me about our relationship is that he is very good at expressing himself about concerning everything - which I admire and think is a good thing. I, on the other hand, have a very difficult time expressing myself when I am angry or have hurt feelings, etc. I keep it to myself. I don't know how to become more expressed. I find it very difficult especially around things I am unhappy about.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dear Debra replied 4 years ago.
It is excellent that your husband is able to be expressive, this help to not have to guess how he is feelings. Communication is major in a relationship. I understand what you are saying, you see how easy it is for your husband to express himself, but you wonder why you can not. This is just your personality it is who you are, not everyone is able to express themselves, but you want to work on this and I do believe you can change. You see like when you do express yourself it makes you more emotional and you are overwhelmed by your feelings. It's ok, once you keep expressing yourself this will begin to change. Right now you have all these emotions built up because you do not express yourself so it makes it more difficult. Once you begin to open up you will yourself not only feel better, you will begin to have a better connection with your husband because he will know what not to do. Right now he has to guess how you feel. I know some time it would be easier to just not say a word and hope that the one we love will just know how you are feeling, but it's not always easy for people to read emotions. They just wants things to be good and they hope that their partner is happy. When after so much time they see they have issue, they realize they have to pay more attention to their partners needs. If you express yourself starting today but take little steps in doing so, you will see that a weight has been lifted because talking always makes you feel better once someone knows how you feel. If you have any more questions I am here to listen.