Dear Debra
Dear Debra, Advice Columnist
Experience:  I have been an Advice columnist for 14 years. My column is published weekly in local newpapers.
57081136

I have been dating my boyfriend for almost 6 months now but

I have been dating my boyfriend for almost 6 months now but we have known each other for almost a year. He would like for things to move forward and so would I, but I am having reservations because he wants children and I do not. He knows my position but thinks that I am just not ready "right now" and I will probably "change my mind." But I deep down just do not feel like I will. I told him that he would be an amazing father and that I wanted him to have the opportunity to be one.

Should I end the relationship now to avoid a potentially tragic outcome or are there circumstances where it would be in my best interest to continue dating him? I will be devestated breaking things off with him, but could this relationship even have a future with such different wants later in life?

-Many Thanks- Sarah
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dear Debra replied 2 years ago.
I don't want you both to get ahead of the relationship, right now you need to focus on each other. You need to move your relationship forward but if you are not ready to have children or might not ever want to have children that is your choice. But I don't want you to end a relationship with someone you love over this because you have told him how you felt there is no sunrises. You do not want to have children you feel. He feels you will change your mind and in life you some times just never know. Things do often change. Right now you feel strongly about not having children and that's ok. I think he just wants to believe that you will change your mind, but deep down im sure he knows that you do not want to have children. But do not end this relationship. Once you find someone you love, you work at it, communicate and most importantly understand each other. You both have a great life ahead of you and you both need to focus on what you both want in this relationship be focusing on you and him. If you have anymore questions I am here.
Dear Debra, Advice Columnist
Experience: I have been an Advice columnist for 14 years. My column is published weekly in local newpapers.