psychlady, Counselor
Experience:  I have over 16 years experience in treating adults presenting with a variety of relationship issues

For some reason my son will not communicate with me. He has

Customer Question

For some reason my son will not communicate with me. He has been distant for 6 years, married for ten. I have asked him what is wrong, and he just isolates me. Sometimes he will carry on an acquaintance conversation, but I am his mother. I really am heartbroken. We have always been extremely close, and now I feel I am always intruding when I go to see my grandchildren. What can I do?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.

I know you have said that you have talked to him but you have to accept that only honesty brings change. You can't have what you can't have but you should try as many times as possible to change this situation. When you talk to him you have to clarify the relationship you want and the pattern that results from your talks. Sometimes people don't realize how they are behaving or the patterns that this behavior takes. You have to describe the pattern that his behavior towards you changes. Find a quiet time to address all of this.

You can't change someone else. If there is a reason ask for ways to get to the bottom of this. The option of choice is family therapy. You can then vent and he can do. Of course this depends on his participation. He has to want this relationship. You can try on your own but that may not change things. Sometimes there is a time or an approach that makes a difference. Even trying a written method can make a difference - email or even a card.

Don't give up

If this has been helpful press accept