psychlady, Counselor
Experience:  I have over 16 years experience in treating adults presenting with a variety of relationship issues

What are your suggestions for recovering from an abusive marriage,

What are your suggestions for recovering from an abusive marriage, getting back into the dating scene
Category: Relationship
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.

Since you have had this experience, you may have to take it slow until you have a chance to really interact with a positive person over a period of time. You don't want to project this history onto someone else. I would find someone where you have common interests first. Allow the relationship to unfold naturally. Take your time. You may want to ask them after a few dates how they feel about domestic violence or abuse. Don't interrogate them. Just ask and see what they say. When you know each other well enough then disclose that you have had experience.

As far as dating and meeting someone, there really is no difference. You have to use your best judgment. You don't know who anyone is the first time. But if you see any red flags run

If this has been helpful press accept