Rev.Dr. August Abbott
Rev.Dr. August Abbott, Clergy
Experience:  Ordained minister: Counselor (spiritual/life)
1604863

A relative is making really bad decisions with finances. Would

A relative is making really bad decisions with finances. Would it be rude and inappropriate if I said anything to that relative?
-- Yes, I'm afraid it would be rude and inappropriate on a large scale to comment about something as personal and private as finances without being asked.

To put it in perspective, what if someone decided you were making the wrong choices in the foods you like? Would you truly appreciate anyone deciding they knew better than you do what is right for you? Even if it's well meaning advice with only your best interests at heart, it's a very personal issue.

We don't get to tell others how to live their lives. We are given only one life to own up to and that's our own.

You can, however, reassure this relative that if they ever need you or wish for advice, that you're there for them unconditionally and without judgment